My res doesnt like to be held!

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:08 pm

I got my turtle about 2 1/2 months ago and it is still scared of me till this day it doestn like to be head and when i see him basking like he is right now he jumps of the rock every single time. his tanks is in the comp. room he cant see me right the comp chair blocks it. but will he eventually not jump of the rock when i see him i want to get a pic of its its funny the way they stak on each other and he likes to streach his neck out to get warm.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:41 am

I`ve had my turtle for about 10 months. For the first few months he would scurry to hide like a cockroach every time I went near him, whether he was in the water or basking. Taking him out of the water to feed him in a separate container did a lot to get him used to me. I would also spend time by the side of his tank while he was basking, no sudden moves, just letting him get used to me. It took a while, but now when he`s basking I can approach him and he usually stays put. And if he`s in the water, he will immediately swim over to me (wanting to be fed, I know). Sudden moves and unfamiliar objects will still spook him, though, and I think it`s in their nature. That`s why I`ve been told their called sliders--they quickly slide into the water when threatened to avoid predators.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:42 am

And yes, he has gotten to the point where he will let me take pictures of him. I do try to move slowly so as not to scare him, though.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:50 am

he wont go on the basking rock when i am watching the tank i do sit by the tank alot and he doesnt seem to mind that i think he feels safer in the water but he wont let me watch him bask i got 1 pic of him basking but it was the 1st day i got him so he didnt know what to expect.
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:17 am

Our turtle will let us watch him/her bask on the rock or in the water. Infact, if it is under the water when we approach he comes up to a place where he can stik his head above water and watch us. He has started telling us when feeding time is by acting like he is grabbing food when we come up at feeding time. Talk about spoiled:-) He has us well trained.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:19 pm

My 3 smallest wont mind me watching them bask but if i cme to close to fast the scurry into the water.
turtlepower
Level 1
Level 1

Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:12 pm

My two little guys, Gershwin and Poe, aren\'t big on being held either. Poe will walk around a little on my hand but Gershwin just puts his head and feet in his shell and sits there completely terrified. And as we\'ve only had them for about two weeks, we don\'t hold them all that often--don\'t want to stress them, especially in their new home. I\'m fairly content to just watch them though...they are the most precious things ever :)
tracey8051
Level 1
Level 1

Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:35 pm

I have a baby RES that I found a almost two weeks ago. She\'s about an inch and a half. I spent a lot of time sitting in front of the aquarium watching her and picked her up at least a couple times a day (once for feeding) and now she\'s totally cool with people being around. She stays up on her basking area and checks everything out.

And really weird, she loves Buffy the Vampire Slayer. My daughter was watching it in our room where the turtle is and now whenever it\'s on she stays on the side of the aquarium and watches TV and when the theme song comes on, she goes crazy! I swear she dances in the water, her little legs thrashing until the music is over. It\'s hysterical!
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:24 pm

that\'s so cute my turtles dance too!
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:32 am

My new baby RESs really don\'t mind being held. I pick them up about two times a day and they never run away from me or anything.

Today I discovered that they like their bellys rubbed. I hold them upside down for a few minutes and rub their tummys and they close their eyes and relax. When Im done, they stretch :)

Is this normal? I just want to make sure that Im not handling them too much. I dont want to stress them out or scare them, but I want them to be comfortable with me.

Im new to this turtle thing...Ive only had them for about 5 days and theyre only about the size of a silver dollar.
Any help you can give will be appreciated.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:56 pm

Oh my goodness do not hold your turtles upside down when you do this they cannot breathe!!!They are not like cats and dogs and should only be held once in a while.
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:44 am

I didnt realize this was dangerous. I read on a few different turtle pages that some liked to have their tummys scratched or rubbed. I\'ll be careful not to handle them more than is necessary
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:18 pm

i kno not to hold em upside down but i bring my babies out to play in (blocks)fenced up area of living room my sweeet lil angel res names is lolo and he kinda follows me but the demon leaf my spiney softshell all he wanna do is bite >:(

Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:52 pm

My RES doesn\'t like to be held either. I just call him possesed and leave it at that.
TurtleMotherOfFour
Level 2
Level 2

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:32 am

my 4 RES absolutely hate being touched. sometimes if theyre tired and falling asleep thyell let me carry them. or sometimes if theyre just sititng there resting theyll put their hands in their shells and let me carry them. usually though they get scared and run into the water and wen i try picking them up, they start kicking. whn i take them out to feed theyll fight be until there are 2 or 1 left in the tank. they realize their friends are gona so they eventually let me take them because they HATE being alone. theyre about the size of a silver dollar. (i got them like a couple months ago and theyre tiny!)
Pete's Mom
Level 2
Level 2

Mon May 31, 2004 8:50 pm

My turtle (named Pete) will walk around on my hands. I also pet/rub him on the head sometimes, I rub his shell too. He holds real still when I pet him, so I don\'t know if he likes it or if he is scared. Is it ok to pet him?
Bbasso
Level 3
Level 3

Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:03 am

I must have strange turtles, they love to be held and must run around the apt when ever they have the chance also they will let me pet/ rub them while they are basking the light...They also will stick out their feet if I touch them, but one thing they don\'t care for but don\'t hate me for is when I clip their nails.
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:36 pm

????????????????????????????????????????

is taking my res out of my tank once every other day too much?

i have two, and the male (yertle) is constintantly hiding, when i take him out he tries to bite me and escape but not as bad as mertle (my female) she snaps so hard it sounds like someone clapping

how can i fix this?

please answer fast because i love my turtles, but they try to take off my finger.
turtledudeusa
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:23 pm

dont worry if your turtle doesnt like to be held, its their nature. Unlike a cat or dog, turtles are not the cuddling animals. is kinda like a fish, which you also cannot hold. i usually dont bother my turtles unless i am cleaning their tank, and when i do, the try to fight away. Think of it this way...how would you feel if some giant...thing...that looked nothing like anything you know came and tried to hold you...what would that be like. If you want your turtles to get more comortable with you, spend some time near their tank, just watching them, not making any big moves. i do this once in a while, becuase i want to get my turtles to where they wont feel threatened while they are basking, and will stay out of the water when i enter the room. Good luck, and happy turtle-ing.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:23 am

My turtle doesnt really like to be out of his habitat or held...but oh well
wisp_13
Level 2
Level 2

Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:30 am

I think my turtle hates me!:\'(
I pick him up once and a while, but when I do, he kicks and flails and trys to get away. I\'ll set him down on the ground and he runs around like a little kid, but if I move towards him, even slowly, and slightly, he stops and quickly goes inside his shell. He is always crawling and wont stay put when Im holding him, maybe he is just young? And he trys to bite me through the glass!!! I\'ll put my finger by the glass and he trys to bite it! He also follows it sometimes....strange. I dont think he likes me very much though.:\'(
  • Information