lighting???????????????

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
mr.turtle
Level 1
Level 1

Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:45 am

can the uvb light be abouve the swimming area or should it be abouve the basking area.
and what about uva should it be basking or swimming and do the uva give off heat at all. and whould it be enough for basking?
please help as soon as possible
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:01 am

the uvb is ok in the swimming area as long as isnt at more than 12 inches away from the bottom (closer is better so you might want to put it close to the basking area so they can absorbe when basking)
but with the uva light it needs to be above the basking area and that should be about 8-10 degreese warmer than the water.
turtledudeusa
Level 2
Level 2

Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:01 am

I have my UVB light placed above both the basking area and the swimming area. it is an 18 inch tubelight, so it is pretty well divided over the basking area and part of the swimming area. As for a UVA light, this should definatly be placed over the basking area. If you use a heatlamp, this will give off the needed UVA rays, and produce enough heat to maintain the basking area. Keep a thermometor with the basking area to ensure that it doesnt become too hot. you may have to adjust the UVA (heatlamp) distance to obtain the correct temperature. Dont put the UVA/heatlamp any closer than 6 inches away from the basking area, this could burn your poor little turtle!
wisp_13
Level 2
Level 2

Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:35 am

At night, should there be any lights at all on the turtle tank? like a night light or something? or should all lights be off. I have a hood on my tank, and it has a place for two bulbs, so I have that on during the day, but I turn them off when it gets dark outside. Should I have a heat lamp on at night? Help plz! I am also very tight on money and only have a 10 gal. tank because it\'s all I can afford. I would love to have a 20 or 30 gal. long tank, but its just not in the cards.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:34 pm

At night there shouldnt be any lights on. Mine wakes up if I come in the room in the middle of the night and turn on the light. There is no need for the basking lamp at night. However, I hope you have a heater in the water that is on all the time. If you are unsure of what you need PLEASE check the link on this site for setup and it will guide you to what you need to be sure your turtle stays healthy.
wisp_13 wrote:
At night, should there be any lights at all on the turtle tank? like a night light or something? or should all lights be off. I have a hood on my tank, and it has a place for two bulbs, so I have that on during the day, but I turn them off when it gets dark outside. Should I have a heat lamp on at night? Help plz! I am also very tight on money and only have a 10 gal. tank because it\'s all I can afford. I would love to have a 20 or 30 gal. long tank, but its just not in the cards.
  • Information