ESU Reptile Super UV Coil-Lamp help

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
xaznxtrancex
Level 1
Level 1

Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:51 pm

i bought the ESU Reptile Super UV Coil-Lamp Compact Fluorescent Lamp and i wen i switched it with mah zoomen basking spot lamp, mah turtles won\'t bask with this light, and it sed it provides both uva and uvb, so i wuz wondering why won\'t mah turtles bask with this light on, and wen i switch it to mah zoomed baskign light, then they would start basking, any help?
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Maybe it isnt as warm as the other lamp. Check that the basking area is 7-10 degrees warmer than the water. This may be the problem. I personally just have a 5% UVB tube and then a regular bulb for basking. It is either 60 or 75 watt Im not sure. That is the cheapest way to go. I know those coils are expensive. Your water temp should be 75-80 so your basking should be 85-90. Hope this helps.
xaznxtrancex
Level 1
Level 1

Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:38 pm

yea i check thx mah coil lamp isn\'t hot enough for the turtles to bask on, but it sed its both 75 watts, or is there a way for me to increase the temperature on the coil?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:07 pm

The ESU coil lamp is primarily used as a UVB lamp (provides 3% UVB), and like flourescent lamps doesn\'t really provide heat. It should be positioned no more than 12 inches from your basking turtle (6-8 inches is best).

The Zoo-Med basking light you were using provided no UVB rays, only heat and UVA rays. You were correct to replace it with the ESU light. Now you just need to use another light to provide heat to warm the basking area (85-90F) along with the ESU light.egular lightbulb works fine for this purpose (provides UVA and heat) unless you want to pay for the Zoo-Med basking light (but it\'s really not necessary). Don\'t go by wattage--use a thermometer to check that the temp is in the right range.

When my turtle was smaller I used the ESU light along with a lightbulb and had them clamped next to each other over the basking area. It worked very well for my turtle.
xaznxtrancex
Level 1
Level 1

Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:55 pm

o thx, i think wen u mean u sed clamp next to each other, that mean u have 2 clamp lamps and 1 with uvb and one with uva?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:32 pm

Yes. A UVB light and a light to provide heat and UVA rays (a regular lightbulb will do the latter).
Last edited by mariza on Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information