Question about new turtle

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
kitkat5340

Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:00 pm

We just experienced the loss of our dear RES Roy. We had him for 11 years and he unfortunately just got stuck under a rock and drown. My kids were devestated so we went and got a new RES. She is about about 5 in. and is very shy and does not bask much. SHe will climb on the rock, sit for a minute and then jump backl in the water. How long does it usually take for a turtle to get used to the new tank? Also, could it be she is lonely, she was in a tank with a male at the pet store. We are kind of dissappointed with her because Roy was so full of life and loved to be around people and she just hides behind the rocks and hides her face if you go near her.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:19 pm

Just give her some time to adjust to her new surroundings. This is a big deal, getting a new home and all the strange people. She\'ll come around and as she learns to trust you she should become more social. She probably jumps back in the water because she sees you staring at her. Many turtles will not eat or bask infront of you when you first get them. It takes time for them to feel secure and comfortable enough to do this. As far as lonely, she probably enjoys the extra space she has to herself. My tutles do enjoy eachothers company, but they also seem perfectly happy to be by themselves.
shortstack1277
Level 2
Level 2

Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:34 pm

Just give your turtle some time to adjust to their new setting. It took my turtle about a month or so before she started feeling comfortable. Now she doesn\'t mind me being next to her while she basks and when I sit by the tank she comes near me.

Cheers!
  • Information