HELP...Cold Weather!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
steds4

Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:40 am

HELP, PLEASE!

I was away for a few days and left my turle in the trust of a responsible friend but she STUPIDLY left the turtle outside over several nights.

He\'s only a year old and doesn\'t seem to be doing well at all.

I live in LA. The weather gets down to the mid-50s at night. What happens to them when they\'re exposed to this kind of cold? I know they sometimes hibernate so can they acclimate to this weather for a short period?

I noticed s/he has these bulges around the hind legs. Hadn\'t noticed that before and don\'t know if it\'s related to this incident.

I am SO angry and bummed, it\'s killing me.
Thanks for your help...
shortstack1277
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:21 pm

Hi There,

I\'m not a pro at this, but when I found my turtle I left it outside for about a month not really knowing what to do with it and the turtle seemed to be ok. I\'m in Los Angeles too. I later took it in and got it a tank, researched on how to take care of a turtle etc...What you might want to do if your turtle isn\'t doing to well is to increase the temp of your heater to about 85-90 degrees and see how that goes. Ask for the bulges on your turtles legs, I\'m not to sure about that one. Hopefully someone here can help you out on that.

Cheers!
deesygirl

Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:36 pm

Your turtle should be ok, but keep an eye out for infections. I agree with raising the tank temp, but only for a few days. It will raise his resistance to infection.
As for the bulges, :) when turtles are over weight this is the only way you can really tell. You might want to cut back a little on the food.
  • Information