MY TURTLE IS DYING!

Discussions about turtles.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:42 am

I am sorry you lost your snapper, I just now got to the board and saw that your turtle had died, I hope your softie gets better.:(
deesygirl

Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:43 am

(((Stunt Pogoer))) Here is a motherly hug. I am so sorry we could not save your little guy. :(

There could have been many reasons his turtle died.

Yes you should have a sick tank but not everyone has that option, regretably. No you should not use any fish meds in your turtle tank other than the antibiotics and then only if it is really needed. Turtles absorb the meds through their skin just like how the get hydrated. They don\'t actually \"drink\" the water. Metals in the water are very toxic to water critters. The metal leaches out into the water and the turtles and fish will absorb the metals to toxic levels. Most drownings occur because the babies get stuck. Either under rocks or in the filter. He could have released himself but was to weak to make it to the surface. Sometimes the turtles have been known to swollow rocks that get stuck in their throats. There could have been a bad bactiria in the water. Filters don\'t always take them out and local water supplies are full of really icky things. (That is why my family and pets, including the turtles, use only water that has been ran through a reverse osmosis filter)

There is so many different scenerios to this. I really don\'t like to make assumptions. I would however take some precautions so if it was something in the tank he dosen\'t loose his softie.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:58 am

Deesygirl, I was wondering if it was possible to add a Memorial section for the turtles that died, that way the owners can say a last good-bye.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:02 am

nice idea..something like turtle heaven..<sigh>
booboo
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:53 pm

sorry bout the snapper

go get an autopsy
stunt pogoer
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:30 pm

booboo wrote:
sorry bout the snapper

go get an autopsy
i cant, im already saving up my money to get my softie checked on for her fungus... thats $50 not even including medicine
booboo
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:34 pm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

did the snapper have respitory problems b4
BXsLilPrinCesS
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:13 pm

Awww im sowwie 2 hear bout ya snapper he was a cutie :( ... sowwie i couldnt help i dont know bout about the subject... but i think u should clean n fix the tank out n make sure its absolutely clean, b/c if ur snapper died n ur softie has sum fungus on its shell it can b sumthing in the water
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:52 am

take care of ur little softie..hope she\'ll be fine..ur snapper will always be here with us
sourmilknightmares
Level 1
Level 1

Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:09 am

No offense man, but these are all wild caught turtles, correct? Is it not possible that the stress and strain of going from wild to captive could be doing a serious number on their bodies? After being wild all of their lives and now being stuck in a small (comparaatively speaking) container may be really stressing them out and therefore weakening their immune system. Just a thought. Hope you can get your softie to the vet soon!
deesygirl

Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:35 am

The snapper that died was less than a year old.

I agree on the stress to wild caught, that is why I really don\'t support that action at all. Unless of course the habitat is sceduled for destruction.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:56 am

stunt\'s turtles are wild cought??
stunt pogoer
Level 3
Level 3

Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:47 pm

ya, i caught both the turtles in a lake in michigan. i catch them all the time there and 99% of the time i let them go. i have a p;addleboat and net and everything me and a buncha other kids go \"turtle hunting\" we catch about 15 turtles a day! but they did live in a bad environment, i caught the softy when it had a fungus and if i didnt put him to captivity and give him meds he would be dead now
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:37 am

btw it\'s cool how u found such a variety
Last edited by dixieee on Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:28 pm

I\'m sorry I didn\'t get here until now. I was in Las Vegas for the weekend.

The death of your turtle is a bit stange to me. Mostly because it is a snapper and snappers have been known to thrive in all kinds of conditions. Did you have any decorations in your tank that the turtle could have caught himself on and got water in his lungs? He could have been stuck for awhile but then sunk to the bottom and didn\'t have enough energy to get to the surface, so you found him on the bottom limp. That may be a possibilty.
The other fact that is interesting to me alos is that he is wild caught. No matter how long turtles (or any animal for that case) have been in captivity, they may still carry harmful bacteria, ect. In a large water body such as Lake Michigan this bacteria didn\'t get to be highly intense because of the ratio bacteria to water, to make a turtle sick.
But in a 15 gallon tank filled with warm water the bacteria that this turtle had from the wild was given a great enviroment to grow and thrive in, eventually having a high amount of bacteria in the water, which could start to attack the turtles body, slowly weakening it and eventually killing it.
Those are my two oppinions on what could have happened.
I think we all learned a valuable lesson in all of this, don\'t catch turtles from the wild and expect them to do well in captivity. All of my turtles I get from people (or myself) who collect hatch out turtle eggs. I\'m sorry for your loss.
Willie
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:31 pm

makes sense willie..but what about the turtles they sell? aren\'t they wild caught??
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:35 pm

What turtles who sells? Yes, a lot of people sell Wild Caught (WC) Turtles. Most people stay away from these sellers because they know that WC turtles can carry a lot of nasty things. I recomend to everyone that they look for a breeder that has had a breeding program going for quite a while and buy hatchlings or juveniles from them.
Willie
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:51 pm

ok thanx:)
the prob. is not too many people tell the truth about it..
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:44 pm

That is very very true. Thats why you have to make sure you buy from a reputable seller.
  • Information