im new..my story

Discussions about turtles.
nater

Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:01 pm

Hi my name is Nate. About a month ago i came up with the idea that i might be able to buy turtle hatchlings online as it has always been my dream since agout age 10 to have like 4 or 5 of them. I would blame tmnt..

So i did some research and finally decided on 2 red ear slider hatchlings and the lagoon setup up which i purchesed from www.artsofnature.com. I was happy to have my new turtles.. and they were very active..i noticed one had a white spot on its shell...and it was softshell. (i have pics if anybody is interested) So i emailed back the company and they were inspected fro helth when they left and asked for pics. So i sent them pics and asked me what i wanted. I just simply wanted to have a healthy start to my turtles life, so they sent me a calcium block( this is about 4 dasy ago) and im not sure hwo much it is helping the softshell but the turtle is very active and eats like a pig.

after receiving my turtles and seeing the setup tank they gave me, which they said could house turtles for up to a year, i new i had to get a bigger tank. So to make a longer story, come to a quick end after 2 weeks of owning the 2 turtles i have a 10 gallon aquarium with a floating dock, which is amazing, an architects lamp for basking and a iguana light 5.0 18\" bulb and fixture. you have no idea how hard it is to find a pet store in mid michigan with a reptisun or a iguan light 5.0. i finally found one in meijers.

I have allturtles in my favorites and check it out just about everynight.. there is alot fo godo information in there and it seems to be active alot, which i like...ill be talking to you all later...and i guarantee i wont be leaving such long messages....wow
xVBBB Girlx
Level 3
Level 3

Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:34 pm

hi nater...hope you turtle gets better i myself have 3 simi larger male RES there names are Nemo, Lakota and Jaws (heheheh he bites hence the name) there in a 120 gallon tank...and loving it...i absoultly love turtles im finally getting a boxie an ornate well ttyl....have fun owning turtles
nater

Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:57 pm

cool..i hope mine dont get that large in the near future...im just a 21 year old college student.. when i received my turtles one arrived still having its pecking nose..yet is the bigger turtle so i hope they dont grow too fast
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:59 pm

I know how you feel i always wante a turtle when i was little and i still do want more. If you have any questions about snappers im the man to come to. And i also know alot about all other turtles. Welcome to allturtles
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:53 am

welcome to the board:)
hope ur turtle gets well soon
nater

Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:57 pm

thanks rodea144 for the knowledge resource..i dont have a snapper...but if i could i would have atleast one of each turtle...i just got some guppies for my inch and a half or so sliders and i can tell they still got some practice to getting the guppies...its funny to watch though....and xVBBB Girlx im still working on some names for my turtles...i was told i have a male and a female wiht a 70% chance of that being correct..ttyl :-)
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:54 pm

arts of nature was a rally good site to get your turtles off of. They have ot be the best to get RES from that i know my friend oredered about 24 of them and not one of them died in his pond. they will eventually grow salmonella but only if you feed them raw foods wil they have a minimal amount on them. A good website to go onto is www.austinsturtlepage.com which has some good stuff.
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:03 pm

Whya gotta let your snapper go, Rodeo?
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:26 pm

I may and i may not, i want him or her to become bigger and have a longer life and they get both in the wild so i want to home nurse it and then buy a RES soon cause its 20$ for illegal babys at a store near me. All my friends have them so i might keep him, my friends all have babys too, except fluffy whos sixty pounds.
EarthVsJazz

Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:50 pm

Nice site, I\'d get rid of that lagoon. It\'s a death camp for turtles. They should be against the law to sell those...

- Ed
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:09 pm

sry to tell you this, but your tank might be too small, for every inch you need 10 gallons of water, sounds like there both 1 inch long, either get a 20 g. tank or start saving for a big tank, and i dont like artsofnateure, i dont like anyone that sells illegal turtles, have fun with them (p.s. sounds like the baby has shell rot)
  • Information