How do I take care of my lil turtle?

Discussions about turtles.
carteyrojob

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:21 am

I saw this turtle at a market and I knew I had to buy it! It was so energetic and I knew I had to have him/her.
This is a very small turtle, probably a size of a half dollar.

But what kind of turtle is it? and how do I take care of it??
I appreciate any feedback! Thank you all.

Here's the pic..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/ ... CN0213.jpg
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:06 am

welcome to the board :) ok u remind me of someone :oops: this is how many turtle owners got their's..

ok so about ur little guy, he's a cutie :P are there any red markings on his ears/eyes? if so then u got a Red-Eared Slider (RES) which is one of the most common pet turtles and also one of the easiest to take care of. now in general, turtles do need lots of care in order to survive a long healthy life but if u know what they need it gets easy. so first, this container ur guy is in is what is known as the "death bowl". why? cz it is too small for the turtle to grow properly in, too shallow for him to eat and swim well, and inappropriate for equipment to be set on. what equipment? here's a list:

1- water heater to maintain fixed temps at 80's F.
2- heat bulb to keep air temps warm.
3- UVA+UVB bulb to replace sunlight they get in the wild (this could be replaced by 2 hours a day of direct unfiltered sunlight).
4- a thermo. to keep track of the temps
5- a water filter that is 4x the size of the tank (can be replaced by daily water changes).

for tank size, it is measured this way: 10 gallons for every inch of shell length. ur little guy is slightly under 1"? that means he needs at least a 10-gallon tank. this will not hold for long though so u can replace them with rubbermaids. they come in bigger sizes and are much cheaper. 1 drawback, they are not as fancy as aquariums. (but i use one myself :wink: )

so u're probably thinking "uh-oh what did i get myself into??!". don't regret it, turtles are great pets and u'll enjoy it more and more as ur guy starts getting used to u and eat from ur fingers.

so did he begin eating yet? cz new turtles usually don't for the first week or so. and btw, what did u name him?

good luck and enjoy ur new guy :)
rertjwi

Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:03 pm

thats a red ear slider no dought about it :lol: and you will need a 20gal or a 10gal but I think a 10gal would be good for now :lol:
carteyrojob

Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:12 am

I got him/her a 10 gallon tank and he's been eating Nutrafin Turtle Gammarus Food. They are little pellets and I'm giving him 1 pellet in the morning and 1 at night. He does eat them.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to get a heater and try to find him a nice rock where he can bask.

Thx 4 all your help!
lionmiass1958

Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:17 am

You should give him more then 2 pellets a day,as he is a growing turtle.Also he needs calcium and things!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:40 am

yep 2 are too few for a baby. make them 4-5
  • Information