Help I'm Sick

Discussions about turtles.
Loldorera

Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:19 am

I purchased 6 baby RES yesterday and put them on the rock in the center of my outdoor pond. All but one rushed to the water. I noticed hours later the one was still on the rock. When I picked him up I noticed the shell was was soft on top and under him. I put him in a tank over night with a 40 watt bulb shining on him in hopes this would help. He is still alive but not moving or eating at all. Any suggestions :( [/b][/quote]
turtle_grl77

Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:46 am

Sounds like he may need calcium. You can get that from cuttlebone. Just pull off the hard part of it. Other than that I really dont know, someone else will know. Hope he gets better soon.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:44 am

welcome to the board :)

6 at once? u're lucky to have a pond for them :P i'm sorry for the little guy though, sounds like he's not feeling well. raise the temps where he is to the low 90's F and keep him under the heat bulb but just don't put it too close so it doesn't burn him. keep it on one side only so he could move away if it gets too hot for him. keep him in a dry area but soak for 30 min. every couple of hours so he doesn't dehydrate and offer some tuna.

good luck and keep us posted. hope he gets well soon

btw, what did u name them?
Loldorera

Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:38 pm

:( The baby turtle died after 3 days. My neighbor found one across the street and I fould a 6" tutle on the front porch. I deceided to put rabbit wire around the pond area in hopes to keep the turtles in. I know have 13 turtles ranging from 9" down to 4" . Does anyone know how high turles can climb?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:42 am

i'm so sorry for ur loss :!: i hope he didn't suffer much though..

turtles are daredevils and they can climb well. now u'll have to be careful if they fall after climbing that they don't get hurt. another thing about the fence, it should be dug deep into the ground too cz turtles dig.
turtleman1

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:18 am

yep turtles can dig very well and will find a way out the only way ur probably cona keep them in is to have a big fence concreated in about 6 feet deep. if not they will probably get out again. they can tell if any body of water around to and will get out and walk to it. thats why you see pond that have not been stocked with turtles only like bass bluegill catfish crappie etc. have turtles in them.
  • Information